Re: [SLUG] ot: Mac OSX and virii in the open

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:36:14 +1000 (EST)
<r.polanskis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/6805/articles/morris-worm.html
>
> Everyone mentions the morris worm.  It's a poor example from
> an era where most UNIX boxes didn't even have a root passwd.

?!?  Of course they had root passwords.  THe only trouble
was that it was always "gandalf" :-)

Seriously, the bugs that allow viruses and worms nowadays
are very much like the bugs that allowed the morris worm.

When someone criticises outlook for executing attachments
only when you view them, I'd really like to know whether they're
aware of the similar bugs that emacs and some variants of vi
had.

Matt