Re: [SLUG] Anybody know what the story is with Radeon R9500/9600 support?

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:01:33PM +1000, Crossfire wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Does anybody know what the status of support in X for the Radeon 9500 and 9600
> is?  ATI seems to have done a very good job of being as vauge as possible when
> the 9[268]00 is involved.
>
> I also understand that open-source DRI support for the 9500/9600 isn't
> available yet either. (Is or this a bit out of date?)
>
> Has anybody got these cards and what success have they had with them under
> linux using XFree86 and GL?

Well, I'm not going to answer your question :-) but coincidentally
I was searching for drivers for my radeon8500 just a few minutes
ago and noticed they haven't updated their drivers for xfree 4.3.0.

A bit of googling discovered the following url,
	http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
which tantalizingly has drivers for xfree.4.3.0, but only
for the cards firegl x1, z1, e1, 8700 and 8800.

I have read somewhere that some firegl drivers are compatible
with the "lesser" radeons.  But I'd do a little more googling
before risking a bonfire in your pc.

Performance of "wolfenstein enemy territory" on stock redhat9
was worse than abysmal -- totally unplayable.

So I'm going to try out the latest open source dri.sf.net
drivers and see how I go.

Hope this helps/entertains,

Regards,
Matt