Re: [Re: [Re: [SLUG] Linux in a Laptop.]]

Thanks for the url.

My model is not quite on there. However I'll read the others and see
what the deal is.

I'll add my model after I get a successful install (Hopefully).

Cheers

Louis.

Ramon Buckland <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Louis,

I run debian on my SONY PCG-FX990 and the BEST resource I found for it
in partcular was the Linux-Sony users group.

http://returntonature.com/linux/phpwiki/

In a nutshell(is a kernel)...

had I not found this site in the early (1 - 2 hr) stages of
linux on my laptop, I would have inadvertantly overheated the CPU
and fried it.
My Linux Sony Laptop does not have the APM (old power management)
support in the BIOS,
but rather, uses ACPI (new) and ACPI just happens to run your fans :-)
and .. Linux kernel has to be patched for ACPI support :-)...

so without a patch, .. well you get the drift, I was fortunate.
a few peoples, (whilst I was building my kernel) fried their CPU's
I believe all the newer SONY laptops are this way.

HTH.
ramon

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 16:07, Louis Selvon wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm trying to install Linux on Sony's PCG-Z1P. I'll try the same ul for
> reference. If there are other useful urls let me know.
>
> Another one I've found is at:
>
> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>
> Cheers
>
> Louis.
>
> Myles Byrne <myles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 06:17, Enrique Vila wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is any one running linux in a thinkpad T30 with reasonable success?
> >
> > I just got mine with Windows XP but want to dual boot it with Linux.
> >
> > Which distribution would be more appropiate?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice....
> >
> > Enrique.-
>
> You can find some good info on running linux on thinkpads at
> www.linux-thinkpad.org. They've got a mailing list too and from memory
> most of the issues with the t30 (sound graphics etc.) are covered on
> that list.

ramon buckland
ramon[at]thebuckland.com
www.thebuckland.com