Re: [SLUG] DHCP/LAN problem: can ping IP cannot ping Hostname

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Tom Massey wrote:

> * Laurie Savage <sav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003-05-30 13:14]:
> > resolv.conf on the client contains these lines
> > 	search blackbox.home
> > 	nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> Do you have a DNS server running on 192.168.1.1?

Not sure, the resolv.conf was created automatically on the client by the
server so I'm guessing yes. I can see the printer laserjet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the CUPS config page but cannot send jobs to it.

> > The hosts file on the client does not contain
> > 	192.168.1.1 blackbox.home
> > because Gnome and OpenOffice complained.
>
> What sort of complaint?

Gnome could not resolve the host blackbox.home, OpenOffice hangs at the
splash screen for about 10 minutes (normally quite fast). I started
oowriter from the command line and messages from lpc, lpstat appeared
about no server.

Laurie