Re: [SLUG] Dell 7500 laptop freezes on closing lid

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 23:27, Peter Hardy wrote:
> On 14 May 2003 23:01:07 +1000, James Gregory <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 21:32, Tony Green wrote:
> >
> > > All programed through a simple config file, however you will loose
> > > your apm and I'm not sure that software suspend works THAT well,
> > > though others might be able to tell you.
> >
> > Very much a moving target. It's been in the kernels in mandrake cooker
> > for a while, and (for me anyway)
>
> Mandrake are applying the software suspend patch to their kernels?
> Sweet!

Dude, Mandrake apply every patch ever to their kernels :)

> > it seems to work for a few versions
> > and then break for a while. When it was working, it was great. Right
> > now it doesn't work for me (well, it does the suspend part ok, it just
> > has issues with the waking up part - but that could be X or
> > something).
>
> Most likely X.  Most video cards have issues suspending whilst X is
> running.  Can be fixed easily enough with judicious calls to chvt(1)
> before and after the actual suspend in your scripts.

Yeah, Mandrake also has a suspend-scripts package which does all that
stuff for you based on a config file. I wasn't actually watching when I
told it to suspend last time, so it might just be that I've turned the
appropriate option off. They also do stuff like run xscreensaver -lock,
restart the network, and set the system clock from the hardware clock.

I don't know if other distros have similar scripts, but they've proven
to be really useful. Might be worth porting them to other distros if
they aren't there.

James.