Re: [SLUG] linux on ibook

>> This is a handy feature I personally haven't seen on any x86
>> laptops (but quite possibly is available on some).

Dave> Its more an OS issue with x86.. Win2k and above don't support it
Dave> usually .. any Dell Mach64 (Rage Pro) under Win98 allows

Linux *does* support it, if you have the right video card.  With my
laptop (Radeon Mobility card) and XFree 4.2 I can configure XFree to
have either the same image on screen and monitor, or different parts
of the same screen (xinerama) or different screens on teh same display
(you know, :0.0 and :0.1)

You do somwthing like this in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "multi"

        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" rightof "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Screen 0
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "Radeon Mobility M7 LW"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Screen 1
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "Radeon Mobility M7 LW"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"	# This is hte external connection
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device "Card1"
        Monitor "Monitor1"
        SubSection "Display"
        EndSubSection
        Option     "CrtScreen"                  # [<bool>]
EndSection

Section "Screen" #this is the LCD
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"