SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Copying Home directories to a new server
- To: Andrew Bennetts <andrew-slug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Copying Home directories to a new server
- From: Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 03:22:30 +0100 (IST)
- Cc: 'Slug' <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
google with "copy files new system preserving linux"
brought up an article from IBM developerworks that uses mount to do it ..
> If your question is "what how do I make 'cp' do foo?", then it's obvious
> which man page to read. If your question is "how should I copy files to a
> new system, preserving whatever obscure unix magic needs to be preserved?",
> then, as you've just demonstrated, the answer is less clear.
> And, regardless, personal attacks on a public list help no-one.
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied@xxxxxxxxx
pam_smb / Linux DecStation / Linux VAX / ILUG person