[SLUG] Copying Home directories to a new server

HI all,
What are my options and what would be an efficient means to copy users Home
directories from one server to a new server while preserving permissions? I
have already copied the passwd, shadwo and group file, but as there were
only three I did not mind resetting the permissions on the files - I have
1000 users! - these were copied with samba as I keep getting connection
refused between these two servers using ftp. The old one is RH7.2 the new
one is RH9.

Cheers,

Simon Bryan
IT Manager