Re: [SLUG] Samba Binaries & Debian

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Daniel Harper wrote:

> Why is it that the Samba Debian packages from Samba are not in the official
> stable Debian Tree?

Because anyone can make packages for Debian.  More specifically, you'd want
to ask the maintainer of the variant of Samba shipped with Debian why he's
repackaging Samba instead of "just" using the ones from samba.org.  Be
prepared for a heated response, though.

> http://au1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian/dists/stable/main/bina
> ry-i386/
>
> Sould I just edit my sources.list file accordingly to get access to these
> packages?

Yup.  This should do it, I would imagine:

deb http://au1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian stable main

Be careful with the version numbers, though.  Make sure that whatever's
coming from samba.org has a higher version number than the Debian
equivalents...

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16