Re: [SLUG] Debian Sound and other problems

At  3:20 pm, Monday, March 31 2003, Mick Boda mumbled:
> 3. I recieve the following message from apt-get re sound
>
>             Sorry, alsa-base is already the newest version.
Okay. You probably want the latest alsa-base, too. (Which is currently
0.9.2-1)

>            E: Couldn't find package alsa-modules-2.4.20-i386

Yes, I know. The packages are currently in Incoming, awaiting on the
ftp-masters. Grab the .deb from http://people.debian.org/~stevenk/alsa and
install it.

> I ran apt-get install snd, which appearred to do something, but Irecieve
> the following error messages running modprobe....

Heh, snd is probably not the package you're after.

> 5. Irritatingly, I recieve the following error message
>
>                1 packages not fully installed or removed.
>       Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>                     Setting up diald (0.99.4-5) ...
>              debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
>      debconf: (Unable to load Gnome -- is libgnome-perl installed?)
>                debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
> Starting diald: fifo-created dpkg: error processing diald (--configure):
>     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>                Errors were encountered while processing:
>                                   diald
>         E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> I didn't want diald, the machine access then internet through a server.
> I deselected dialup when I was setting up the system, but apt-get must
> have fetched it anyway.

Run 'dpkg -P diald' as root. It looks to be in a fairly bad state, so you
have have to do evil things.

> Also, I thought gnome would be the front-end as it where for Xwindows,
> it appears that I've selected it for apt-get, how do I change this back
> to dialog.

'dpkg-reconfigure debconf' as root.

Cheers,
--
                                           Steve
<asuffield> who's daft idea was this 'government' thing anyway? you'd have to