[SLUG] Fwd: What are apt-get/dpkg/dselect? [Was: apt-get weirdness lately]

thanks for the subject change - i should've done that myself. :)

and thanks to all who replied, it's a bit clearer now.

i was getting a bit mystified because 'apt-get install php' wasn't working for me, where i thought the package name was a sort of wildcard search, it doesn't seem to be. i fired up dselect and scrolled through reams of packages and found the php ones (and a bunch of other stuff i want) and it's downloading now as i type. (looks like i should've said apt-get install php4...)

yes indeedy, it's a very neat system.

next i get to wrestle with upgrading the kernel because i forgot about that part post-install - but i think i'll ring the debhead guy i know and get him to explain it all again to me rather than bothering the list..

..S.