[SLUG] re: ident the distro

..i just got my answer.. /etc/issue says RH6.2, I thought it might be. But /etc/issue can be modified of course, so the question still stands as to where to find the definitive answer. :)

cheers,
..S.

This may seem like a really daft question, but, how do you tell what distro a box is? I'm working on a server I set up a few years back but I can't remember whether it's mandrake or redhat, let alone work out which version it is. I had a quick look in /proc/sys/ but can only find kernel type info. any ideas?

..S.