SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Linux and Telstra ADSL
- To: "Slug" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [SLUG] Linux and Telstra ADSL
- From: "Francois Haasbroek" <fhaasbro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu Feb 21 01:48:01 2002
- Reply-to: <fransh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I have a Alcatel Speedtouch Home ADSL modem
linking my win98 box to Telstra. (SMC 100 Mbps NIC).
I have another box (Celeron 500 MHz/32 MB Ram/350 MB Hard disk)
and want to install a minimal Linux on it:
1) I want to host a http download site. I develop in Delphi
and allow my customers to live-update from a http server.
10 x 1MB files max.
2) I want Linux as a firewall/proxyserver for 2 win98 boxes.
3) I want Linux to fetch mail from various mailboxes and deliver
it to the correct win98 box. Or even as a full blown mailserver.
4) Instead of a hub I want to use 3 network cards in the Linux
box, 1 for the ADSL and 1 for each of the win98 boxes all
linked with crossover cables.
Q1: Is this feasible?
Q2: Which is the best distro(s) for the above?
Q3: Is it possible to do it from the commandline only (no GUI)?
Q4: How do I connect to the Telstra ADSL line?