Re: [SLUG] Networking with Modem Card

> I have recently bought a Dell D266TX w/
> 128mb of RAM, CDROM, Floppy and a Modem
> Card (PCMCIA) for .. $400 ! It's a PII 266
> of course .. how does the price sound ?

Price is not too bad, especially if it has a hard drive as well...:-)

> Anyway i'm wondering if it's possible,
> somehow, to stick a networking cable (cat5)
> into the PCMCIA modem and have it work
> like a network card instead. It's a long
> shot but that's why i'm asking a LUG :)

Nope - definately NOT - not only are the connectors different, but they don't
talk ethernet.

Thhere is a Xircom CEM56 PCMCIA card which has 10/100 ethernet and 56K modem in
it - you can pick them up for around $500 new, or probebly $300 at the markets.
You can also get a dedicated 10/100 card only for around the $300 mark.

I *may* have a spare CEM56 complete with the necessary "dongles" that I can
sell for around $250 if I can't resurrect the old notebook... Email me off-list
if you're interested.

Jon