Re: [SLUG] /etc/rc.config

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:04, Chris Barnes wrote:
> I did't receive any replies about this post so i dont know if there are
> no suse users or if people didn't understand what I was trying to say.
>
> basically I have a shell script which i downloaded. The script was
> written in a way which really only works on Suse systems because it
> makes reference to files which dont exist on Red Hat e.g. /etc/rc.config
> so can anyone tell me what this file might be on a red hat system or
> what the file is supposed to do in suse so i can try to find an
> equivalent in red hat.
>
> The script also makes reference to other files in /sbin/init.d so i'm
> wandering if this directory is the same as /etc/rc.d/init.d in red hat
> which holds the SysV init scripts.
>
> any comments appreciated.
> Thanks heaps.
>
> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 06:22, Chris Barnes wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to rewrite portions of a script originally written for
> > Suse-6.2. The script makes reference to /etc/rc.config. I don't have any
> > experience with Suse so I'm not sure what this file is.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me a redhat or slackware equivalent of the
> > /etc/rc.config file?
> >
> > Also, the script looks for other scripts which appear to be sysv style
> > init scripts in /sbin/init.d. is this the case? is /sbin/init.d the
> > equivalent of /etc/rc.d/init.d on a redhat system?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

Firstly, it would be a bit more helpfull if you named the script as I'm not
sure what you are trying to do.
BTW, The SuSE 6.2 release is over three year old.

The rc.config file was where all the base system configuration settings were
held and had settings to allow each init script to be run on bootup.

As per the manual:

"Nearly any configuration of SuSE Linux can be done via a central
configuration file called /etc/rc.config. Here a couple of enviromnet
variables are set which are (amoungst others) checked by the init scripts.
Each of the scripts under /sbin/init.d executes /etc/rc.config as a first
step in order to read the values of those variables which apply to it."

"Moreover very many configuration files can be generated from /etc/rc.config.
This is the task of /sbin/SuSEconfig. If you change the network
configuration, for example the file /etc/resolv.conf will be regenerated as
it depends on the configuration you have made."

Unless you provide more info I can't help you any further.
--
Regards,

Graham Smith