Re: [SLUG] fustrations with mysql (TIMESTAMP)

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:22:34PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Times are usually stored in UTC, so daylight savings and timezone won't come
> into it. Having your clock working correctly is pretty fundamental to a lot
> of things, so that *shoudn't* come into it. ;-)

Doesn't stop a surprisingly high number of, say,
messages to the slug list coming from the future!

> > What you're usually after is a "guaranteed to be greater" value.  With
> > postgresql/oracle you'd use nextval().
>
> Only if it's a key of sorts (for which time/date fields are terrible
> choices). If someone wants the actual time, they really do want the actual
> time!

Yeah, fair enough.  You'd want to make sure it's UTC.  You
might add the sequential value anyway as a safety check.

> (I'd add myself to the "strongly recommend PostgreSQL" list, too.)

If only it was a little easier to set up and use...

Matt