Re: [SLUG] Why Gentoo?

> > > Now, you have said that Gentoo runs faster. I posit that if this is
true
> > > (and I openly admit that I have my doubts) it simply cannot be due to
> > > compiler optimizations. Can you tell us (technically, not emotionally)
> > > why you think that Gentoo is so much faster than Mandrake. Tell you
> > > what, I'm on a Celeron 1066, run
> > >
> > > time factor 11644393255565173
> > ok real 0m1.373s
> > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
> > cpu family : 6
> > model : 4
> > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
> > stepping : 4
> > cpu MHz : 1410.217
> > cache size : 256 KB
>
> :) oh to have my athlon running again. Anyone got a 1400MHz athlon
> they'd care to throw at the problem? I'm really interested to see this.
>
> So are you using march=athlon in compilation?
>
> > then
> > emerge -S video
> > emerge Mplayer; emerge xine; emerge ....
>
> Right. So, how is that different to me doing this:
>
> urpmi mplayer && urpmi xine && urpmi ....

Can you ? I will admit I havnt played with mandrake for a about 9 months but
at that point, the amoiunt of software available was not up today or any
where near as extenive as what is/was available in gentoo. And I know
redhats much smaller and more out of date that mandrakes (though I dig what
rh has done on the gui side).

are the packages that urpmi from mandrake?

> on my mandrake box? Indeed I can also get stuff like the win32 dlls for
> avifile if I need to decode something exotic with a similar command.
>

> And how is it different to using up2date on redhat?
>

> ... I'm missing something. How is emerge better than
> urpmi/apt-rpm/up2date?

ive spent more time in redhat land of late and there is no way that u2date
if going to go and get me the latest version of xine, or mplayer (infact if
it gets them at all havnt they had mp3 removed?)