SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Can't open /dev/video0 error with Xawtv error
- To: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [SLUG] Can't open /dev/video0 error with Xawtv error
- From: Carl Osterly <costerly@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Dec 13 11:44:02 2002
- Organization: CIA Group Pty Ltd
Having some issue getting Xawtv to run
with my Creative Labs USB Web Cam.
Here's what I done so far.
1. I do a chmod 777 /dev/video0 to allow
all users access to the video device.
2. Do a lsmod with the following output
ov511 83576 0
videodev 8288 1 [ov511]
mousedev 5524 1
keybdev 2976 0 (unused)
hid 22244 0 (unused)
input 5888 0 [mousedev keybdev hid]
usb-uhci 26188 0 (unused)
usbcore 77024 1 [ov511 hid usb-uhci]
ext3 70368 2
jbd 52212 2 [ext3]
>From what I can tell the ov511 USB device driver
has been loaded correctly.
3. Do a modinfo -p ov511 with the following output:
autobright int, description "Sensor automatically changes brightness"
autogain int, description "Sensor automatically changes gain"
autoexp int, description "Sensor automatically changes exposure" (plus a
whole heap more)
4. I then run xawtv as a normal user and get the following error:
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-14)
can't open /dev/video0: No such device or address
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device or address
v4l: open /dev/video0: No such device or address
no video grabber device available
5. Do a ls -l on /dev/video0 and get the following:
crwxrwxrwx 1 carl root 81, 0 Aug 31 09:31 /dev/video0
Any ideas on why I can't open the device with xawtv?
I've found other documents that match my steps
and according to them it should be working by now:
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Carl Osterly <costerly@xxxxxxxxxx>
CIA Group Pty Ltd