Re: [SLUG] tftp service was deactivated because of looping

Ok, this is what seems to die, god knows why ?

18238 socket(PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)   = 13
18238 connect(13, {sin_family=AF_UNIX, path=" /var/run/.nscd_socket"}, 110) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
18238 close(13)                         = 0

At Monday, 09-12-02 17:27 (+0000), Chris Samuel wrote:
> Guys, I am trying to use the tftp-server to load images onto a router, but
> whenever I access the tftpboot machine, tftp dies with the following error
> in the /var/log/messages file.
>
> tftp service was deactivated because of looping

OK, this is a message from inetd telling you that it keeps starting the
service up and it keeps dieing for some reason. If inetd needs to restart a
service over a certain number of times in a certain period (normally 1
minute) then it stops it assuming it's broken.

You should check:
1) Are the arguments and path to tftpd correct ?
2) Why is tftpd dieing ?

You could probably do both by using strace.

strace -f -p <inetd pid> -o trace.txt

That should log the system calls of inetd to a file and also trace any
children forked. You can then try the tftp from the router and see what
blows up.

good luck!
Chris