SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] tftp service was deactivated because of looping
- To: <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] tftp service was deactivated because of looping
- From: "Chris Samuel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon Dec 9 17:46:02 2002
- Cc: "Matt Hyne" <mhyne@xxxxxxxxx>
> Guys, I am trying to use the tftp-server to load images onto a router, but
> whenever I access the tftpboot machine, tftp dies with the following error
> in the /var/log/messages file.
> tftp service was deactivated because of looping
OK, this is a message from inetd telling you that it keeps starting the
service up and it keeps dieing for some reason. If inetd needs to restart a
service over a certain number of times in a certain period (normally 1
minute) then it stops it assuming it's broken.
You should check:
1) Are the arguments and path to tftpd correct ?
2) Why is tftpd dieing ?
You could probably do both by using strace.
strace -f -p <inetd pid> -o trace.txt
That should log the system calls of inetd to a file and also trace any
children forked. You can then try the tftp from the router and see what