Re: [SLUG] Perl and LWP::UserAgent With Cookies Support

Hi Louis,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:10:16PM +1100, LS wrote:
> I actually was able to fetch the html pages
> that the php script generates after login in.
> I can also submit to forms within the admin area
> and capture the resulting html sent from the
> php script.
>
> The solution I used before your email is simply:
>
> $cookie_jar = HTTP::Cookies->new();
> $browser->cookie_jar( $cookie_jar );

This is fine. The only difference is that your cookie jar's only in
memory, so it's not persistent across sessions.

> With yours below:
>
> $browser->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new(file => 'cookies.txt',
>   autosave => 1,
>   ignore_discard => 1));
>
> Is it safe to use "autosave" ?

I believe so - it's just saving your cookies to the file you specify on
exit, subject to all the normal permissions and things.

> Another question, when do we actually use the authentication one (the one
> that specifies username, password, realm etc ...) ?

The authentication what? LWP? You need to setup basic authentication if
the site you're accessing requires it (you get the popup username/
password window). But many sites use form-based logins and cookies or
url-based session instead, since basic authentication has a number of
limitations and relatively low security.

Cheers,
Gavin

--
Open Fusion P/L - Open Source Business Solutions [ Linux - Perl - Apache ]
http://www.openfusion.com.au