[SLUG] runtime error for c++ prog

Hello all. My name's Bart. I use Red Hat Linux 7.1 when writing & compiling c++ programs. I'm a novice to c++ and Linux. Basically,I've written a program which writes one-dimentional character arrays to the hard drive and reads them back from it for display, when indicated by the user. It compiles and when it runs, the files on the hard drive are written correctly. However, when attempting to read fron those files, the program crashes and the following message is displayed: "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". I believe that the core is the Linux kernel and I guess that this message comes from the operating system. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what a segmentation fault is and suggest what sort of thing could be wrong with my program.

Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp