SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Maximum number of files per directory?
- To: "Campbell McLeay" <campbellm@xxxxxxxxxx>, <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Maximum number of files per directory?
- From: "Tony Young" <acmyau@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon Oct 21 15:59:02 2002
I believe the only limit is the number of inodes configured when the
filesystem was made. That's a system-wide limit though, not a per-directory.
I could be wrong though, it's happened before...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Campbell McLeay" <campbellm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 3:21 PM
Subject: [SLUG] Maximum number of files per directory?
> Does anyone know whether there is a limit on the number of files
> per directory for ext2 filesystems. The machine is running 2.4.19
> kernel, Debian potato. I imagine that even that there is a limit
> it might slow down fsck considerably. I'm asking because someone
> has a directory with 12000+ (small-ish) files on our webserver...:)
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group - http://slug.org.au/
> More Info: http://lists.slug.org.au/listinfo/slug
http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!