Re: [SLUG] continuous power up query

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 11:13, Peter Chubb wrote:
> Peter>  I wonder what the pros and cons are of leaving ones domestic
> Peter> grade home computer powered up continually.  I have one of
> Peter> lionels dual cpu celeron smp motherboards.
> I have one of those too ... it's been turned on now for 18 months.
> I've found that most of my machines have died in one of two
> circumstances:
> 	-- nearby lightning strike, or
> 	-- turning on the power.
> I can't do much about the first, but the easiest way to fix the
> second is never to power down the machine.

I also run all my systems 24/7, hell even my windoze boxes have uptime
to boast about, (150 days at one point). Unless I need to change
hardware I generally dont reboot. powering down means that when I want
to use my computer it takes 30seconds+ to get it going, instead of
moving my mouse to wake up the monitor and I'm there.

I find that if a computer system is running, and the OS doesnt crash,
nothing will go wrong. (whoever heard of a video card dying while in
use, that wasn't overclocked, or already faulty.) As Peter said, its
when you power up that things start to go wrong.

Patrick Kelso

GNUPG FingerPrint
C8F0 1635 60D9 F119 6736  FC23 D6F6 611E 4497 6E8B