Re: [SLUG] CD-ROM drive giving trouble

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:49:06AM +1000, John Nicholls wrote:
> I have a second-hand computer with a recently-installed CD-ROM drive
> that I have given little or no use. I can mount it using a full mount
> command, namely mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom, and ls works.
> However just entering mount /cdrom gives the error message
> mount: Too many levels of symbolic links.
*snip*
> fstab looks OK. I suspect the CD-ROM drive is faulty. Any suggestions?

What does your fstab look like?  Is it using the /dev/cdrom device to
mount the drive?
Most distributions create a /dev/cdrom entry, which is just a symlink to
the actual device.  The error sounds like the symlink is broken.

'ls -l /dev/cdrom' will tell you where the link is going, and it should
look something like:
peter@elmo:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Sep 30 12:14 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

To fix it, remove it and use the ln command to create a new link.

Cheers,
--
Peter
 peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx