SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Poor Dial-in performance
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] Poor Dial-in performance
- From: Peter Rundle <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Sep 17 13:50:03 2002
- Organization: Aerodonetix Pty Ltd
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020827
Got a 56k modem setup with mgetty to allow dial-in (RH7.2).
User connects with XP, connection lists at 33.6. But the
performance is woeful. Maximum file transfer rate that I've
been able to achieve is 1.5Kbytes. Latency on a ping is
around 500ms. Changed modems at the Linux end, no difference.
Serial port speed is set to 115200 bps, /var/log/messages
doesn't report anything of note, where would I look to see
the ratio of lost/retransmitted packets?
Probably a Telstra poor line quality problem, but I'd like to
see the retransmission ratio if possible.
Any other hints / tips welcome.