SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] gnome migration
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] gnome migration
- From: James Gregory <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Sep 13 12:41:02 2002
Ever since the dawn of time I've been a hardened Window Maker user (well
not quite), but the other day I was reading the cooker list and reading
about all the new cool stuff in gnome 2, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I'm running it now and I feel like I'm using a mac again.
My problem is that I just don't know how to drive it, and the menu
systems aren't intuitive enough for me to figure out how to do what I
If someone could help me out on the following issues that would be very
1. How do I make the extra keys on my logitech internet keyboard thing
work? (They work in window maker -- you just make menu items for the
actions and then assign hotkeys to them which you can capture from the
2. What's the hotkey to switch workspaces? active applications?
3. What's the hotkey to maximize/minimize windows?
4. How do I find out hotkeys? (clicking help in random places gives me
error messages - is it on the web somewhere?)
5. I have xmms running, and it's supposed to be on all desktops (the
"sticky" option is set), but it's not -- I assume that gnome needs to be
told this through some special mechanism, but I can't see it (there's no
6. How do I make it so my break key will open a new xterm?
That's all for now. Gnome is very pretty, and it's also surprisingly
fast, but I'm really having a lot of trouble using it. Any help would be