From: slug-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:slug-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
David Fitch
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 12:29 PM
To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: large IDE disks (was Re: [SLUG] IDE Raid Controllers)

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Bernhard L?der wrote:
> > I am running a very inexpensive (A$35) ata100 ide card and run it with
Linux
> > in RAID5 software mode with 3x 80GB IDE sitting one on each channel of
the
> > IDE card and the third on the second channel of the motherboard with a
10GB
> > disk on the first motherboard IDE channel as system disk.

speaking of this, someone told me "older" PCs have problems
with IDE disks above somewhere around the 60-80Gb mark.

"Older" being approx pentium2 vintage and earlier (not that
old IMO!).  And "problems" being that the BIOS doesn't
even see the disk therefore it can't be used under any
OS without a BIOS upgrade.

Now I find this hard to believe myself, but not having
an 80Gb disk to try it with can't say for sure.
Anyone heard of such a thing?

PS. this person also says the seagate 80Gb disks come with
some software that "remaps" the disk to make it work in older
machines but it causes a performance hit in M$ stuff (and
no they're not confused with LBA and that type of thing).

Dave.