Re: [SLUG] Re: xdvi fails with a mktexpk error

Angus Lees wrote:
> > kpathsea: Running mktexmf  pncr7t
> > ! I can't find file `pncr7t'.
> > <*> ... mag:=magstep(5); nonstopmode; input pncr7t
>
> so do you actually have "pncr7t.mf"? where is it?

Just looked - no its not there.
I have:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe/ncntrsbk/pncr7t.tfm  and
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/vf/adobe/ncntrsbk/pncr7t.vf

> does your xdvi use kpathsea to find files? if not, is it looking in
> the right place?
Thats what I dont know. There is no emntion of setting font paths in the
docs for xdvi that I have.
I am looking at whether my texmf.cfg is being rea as $TEXMF,
$VARTEXFONTS etc are undefined.

> pncr is "NewCenturySchlbk-Roman", one of the standard postscript
> fonts. so if you were planning on dvips'ing, then TeX probably doesn't
> need to actually have the font - ghostscript will use its own copy. it

After dvips the ps file shows the font fine, yes gs uses it own. I was
planning to use just xdvi as it immediately shows the changes that are
made after running latex. It will be an 'interactive' tute with changes
via vim, run latex and presto look what shows now in xdvi.

> would be a little strange to have that particular font in metafont
> (.mf) format anyway, rather than adobe/postscript type1 (.pf[ab]).
> (for example, i have pncr*.{afm,tfm,vf} here, but no actual font glyphs)

> you could try just viewing the postscript, and see if that "fixes" it.

After viewing ps from dvipsxdvi still gets same error when it tries to
show any font other than cmr.

Mike
Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@xxxxxxxxxx Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.