Re: [SLUG] ask fetchmail(domain for sender address)

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 11:59, henry wrote:
> I used "fetchmail -p POP3 zinwell.com.tw" to fetch my mails from mail-server (zinwell.com.tw)
> but I get message as follows:
>
> 2 messages for henry at zinwell.com.tw (1257 octets).
> reading message 1 of 2 (632 octets)
>
> fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

The first thing fetchmail does is try to connect to a mail server you're
running locally.  This message means it can't find one.  You don't have
a mail server (like sendmail) installed, or it's not running.

> fetchmail: can't raise the listener;
>  falling back to $procmail -d %Tsh: -d: command not found

The next thing it tries to do is give the mail directly to a delivery
agent.  The default is procmail.  I'm guessing you're getting this
because procmail also isn't installed, or it isn't in your path.

> fetchmail: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from zinwell.com.tw
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> fetchmail: terminated with signal 13
>
> But it's quite normal to read these 2 msgs from OutLook(Win98).
> Could you give some advice to analysis the error-report ?

Fetchmail is getting mail from the remote server OK, but it runs out of
ways to deliver it.  Probably the easiest way to solve would be to
install procmail.

--
Pete
peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...if it is true that the act of observing changes the thing
which is observed (because of quantum), it's even more true
that it changes the observer.
		   (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)