RE: [SLUG] Transfer Users

Thanks all,
What I ended up doing was to use Webmins add user facility.
Details:
load both the passwd file and the shadow file into Excel, delete unwanted
users and then inserted the encrypted passwords into the second column in
the passwd file using cut and paste, added five dummy columns at the end of
each row containg zz in each cell, inserted a column at the beginnin with
'create' in each cell. Added the group Staff to my server, deleted all the
exisiting UID's and replaced them with 'zz', replaced all the exisiting
GID's with the GID for the group staff. Saved that as csv file, loaded it
into NoteTab Light, replaced all the , with : then replaced all the zz with
nothing.

Used Webmin and 'add users from a batch file' and bingo all users created,
including Home directoires etc as well as updating the Samba users at the
same time.

Total time about 10 minutes, once I had worked out the process.

I thought about just copying the files and directories but that was a
problem (for me anyway) as they are on different servers and I was not sure
how to copy the directories and preserve permissions. Also this gave me a
chance to put all the users into a Staff group and eleiminate all the
individual groups that I had created when using 'useradd'.

Cheers,