[SLUG] web site slower internally than on the net

Hi all,
Here is the scenario:
We have basically an NT Domain with NT and W2K clients using IE, we do have
a WINS server running.
The webservers are all Apache on RH7.2
When we access a website internally ie from the LAN it is often slower to
respond than when coming in via the internet. The one where it is most
noticeable is our Acdemic Reporting system which isusing php and Poastgres
on a RH7.2 server.
I think this is probably a name resolution issue but am unsure as to how to
fix it.
We are not running a DNS server locally.

Any clues appreciated

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramata