Re: [SLUG] Two Sound cards

At Monday, 13 May 2002, Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 May 2002 18:38:23 +1000
>"Scott Ragen" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have two sound cards running in my machine, and both of them
work fine,
>> but I can only get one working at a time, by changing the alias
sound-slot
>> (soundcard driver) in modules.conf
>
>That may be possible, but I unfortunately I can't help you with that.

Check out the ALSA project drivers and/or a 4 channel soundcard.
It can (apparently [1]) achieve things like multiple /dev/dsp devices
and co-existing soundcards, but it's usually aimed at playing different
sound streams.  A 4 channel soundcard should be able to replicate
the front channels to the back channels and (sort of) achieve what
it sounds like you want.

[1]  Anyone who got 'gdam' (or other MP3 mixing desk software) working
with 0.9 ALSA drivers and a SBLive! 5.1 to provide two sound streams
is invited to tap me with the cluestick.

cheers
Steve
--
"We live in an age of continuous partial attention."
--Ms. Linda Stone, researcher and VP at Microsoft

http://www.helmsdeep.net/capn-k/
Linux | Windows | CAD | Audio Visualisation and more