Re: [SLUG] TV Excel PV-BT878P+ w/FM - Working Well!

Hi all,

Managed to get it working. Problem was I was reading the bttv card=
from the bttv Mini-Howto <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/BTTV.html>, which
is out of date, so video worked because it was a bt878 chip - all such
cards doing video the same, audio didn't because all the bt878 based
cards tend to do audio differently. Finding the right card= number was
the trick, and it was sitting right there in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST. I'm using
kernel 2.4.18.

For the archives:

Card: PV-BT878P+ w/FM, branded TV Excel.
(AKA PixelView PlayTV Pro, Prolink)

Relevant sections of /etc/modules.conf:
# i2c
alias char-major-89     i2c-dev
options i2c-core        i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit    bit_test=1

# bttv
alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
options bttv            card=72 radio=1 pll=1
options tuner           type=5

(I think card= will work with 16, 37, 50, 70, 72, but 72 seems to
be the one that best fits).

Modules needed:
bttv
tuner
videodev
i2c-core
i2c-algo-bit

That seems to be enough to get the card working really well - tv, radio,
clear picture, good radio reception etc. It looks like the remote will
work with lirc, but I've got no AAA batteries to test it at the moment.
Anyway, hope these notes are of some use to future searchers.

Tom