-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Biddell [mailto:jon@xxxxxxxxx]

>Optus@Home (aka Excite@Home last year) used to run most of their servers on
>SPARC hardware (running Solaris). Since Optus decided to lay off most of
>Excite@Home's IT staff last year, they now run "powerful Linux servers"
>instead.

Oh, it gets better...

Apparently much of the SUN hardware was not-paid-for (whether on lease,
evaluation, or whatever). They decided to cut costs, get rid of the
hardware and most (all except 2, I was told) of the Solaris people, and the
2 they kept were... "inept" is the most polite term that my informant used
(who was one of the people let-go).

They ported everything over to PCs running Linux - and OLD PCs at that !!!

Then they canned the free email accounts...

The cheap bastards !