[SLUG] Solaris 8 vs Linux

Hi everyone

Could anybody help with some constructive comments on which OS would be the better for running ISP related services ( web, dns radius etc ) ? Which one is better for stability, available software, scalability ?

Currently we use RH 7.2 for some tasks within our network, but those within the company with decision making ability are investigating the possibility of replacing it with Solaris 8. The general consensus is that with Open Source everybody has access to the source, so no guarantee can be made for the security of the software, and back doors into the system may be possible.  I'm under the understanding that the kernel is basically secure, and it is the software packages that are installed that can introduce security concerns on a machine.

Current machines are all Intel boxes, but management is looking at sparc as well

Thanks to anyone who can help

regards

Grant