[SLUG] Mismatch du and df??

Sluggers,

 doing a du -k -s on /var yields as the result

[305] [root@piquet] /var >du -k -s
40851   .

but doing a df /var yields:

[306] [root@piquet] /var >df .
/dev/rd/c0d0p7          241116    179863     48805  79% /var

HUH?

I had a logfile which exploded (my own fault) and /var was
100% full, I deleted that yet I still have 79% but du (which
sums by files) reports I should have around 30% (expected).

Any ideas??

jobst

--
Computing power increases as the square of the cost. If you want to do it twice as cheaply, you have to do it four times as fast.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia