SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] rp_filter issues on Smoothwall
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] rp_filter issues on Smoothwall
- From: Rebecca Richards <r.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon Feb 11 14:59:02 2002
- Organization: e-Secure Pty Ltd
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:0.9.8) Gecko/20020204
I've been performing some work to configure VPN's on a Smoothwall
firewall and come up against an interesting issue.
The firewall concerned is connected to the Internet via an ADSL link.
Whenever the ADSL link dies, and is restarted, some process within
Smoothwall does an echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ppp0/conf/rp_filter. Now
this is not a "bad-thing"(tm) in-and-of itself, but it apparently plays
havoc with FreeS/WAN.
Does anyone know where Smoothwall is setting rp_filter on for the PPP
interface after a PPP session is established?
Rebecca Richards, CCSA CCSE, Security Consultant, e-Secure Pty Ltd
"Secure in a Networked World" Phone: (02) 9438 4984 Fax: (02) 9438 4986
Grnd Floor, 71-73 Chandos St Mobile: 0412 823 206
St Leonards NSW Australia Email: r.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ACN 068 798 194 http://www.e-secure.com.au