Re: [SLUG] Buying a usb connected CD burner

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:47:16PM +1100, Peter Hardy wrote:

> 1) I *really* don't like the idea of running a CD burner off a USB bus.
> The burn is very slow, and really pushes the limits of how much data you
> can fit through USB.  Don't even think about plugging the burner into a
> hub with other devices, and expect to end up with a few more coasters
> than you're used to.

I was specifically looking for a CD burner for my laptop a few
days ago, and I came across the Acer CRW 8824MM a few days ago:

    http://mall.eyo.com.au/cgi-bin/shop/eyo/showall.tam?pagenumber%2Eptx=1&category%2Ectx=Recordable%20%28CDR%29

The good: It has interfaces to USB, PCMCIA and Firewire.  The
bad: No mention of Linux support.  I'm getting one soon, so I'll
let you know how it goes if you're interested.  (I'll end up
using the PCMCIA interface, and maybe the USB interface just to
test it.)

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>          - trust.in.love.to.save