SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Buying a usb connected CD burner
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Buying a usb connected CD burner
- From: Peter Hardy <peterhardy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Feb 8 17:48:02 2002
On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 17:10, Bill Bennett wrote:
> Could anyone point me, please, at a site that will
> give me information on the buying of a CD burner
> that will operate the usb of my laptop and will
> operate on a Linux driver?
1) I *really* don't like the idea of running a CD burner off a USB bus.
The burn is very slow, and really pushes the limits of how much data you
can fit through USB. Don't even think about plugging the burner into a
hub with other devices, and expect to end up with a few more coasters
than you're used to.
2) http://www.linux-usb.org has a Working Devices list. Also of
interest there will be the linux-usb mailing list.
3) Just off the top of my head, the Iomega ZipCDs are reported to work