SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Help, X has died
- To: Sydney Linux Users Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Help, X has died
- From: Rick Moen <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Sep 7 07:52:01 2001
- User-agent: Mutt/1.3.20i
begin Laurie Savage quotation:
> Using Mandrake 8, XFree86 4.0 init 5 startup
> The X server tries to start but does not succeed. Crashes back to text
1. Login. Do "ps auxw | more" to make sure no X processes are running.
If any are, kill them.
2. Do "X > xerrors 2>&1" to capture to logfile "xerrors" the stdout and
stderr data streams produced by an attempt to start X (in this case,
starting just the bare X server). Presumably, it will likewise
crash back to a console prompt, but now you'll have pretty complete
diagnostic information on the X startup attempt.
3. Review the contents of xerrors. If it's non-obvious what's wrong,
post any half-way relevant portions of the file here, in a follow-up
> I don't know how to save any messages from Xserver to send error messages
> to the group.
But now you do. ;->
Cheers, My pid is Inigo Montoya. You kill -9
Rick Moen my parent process. Prepare to vi.