Re: [SLUG] Best Mailing List software?

Steve Kowalik was once rumoured to have said:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 05:41:09PM +1000, Jon Teh uttered:
> > > Whatever you do, don't run Majordomo.
> >
> > What's wrong with Majordomo?
> >
> Does the nickname 'Majordumbo' ring any bells?
> It's slow, bloated and crap.

Uh, No.

Majordomo is moderately easy to set up if you're using sendmail as
your MTA.

Its fairly solid for small lists, for larger lists, you may start
running into memory problems since sendmail tries to handle the list
as a single delivery envelope.  [They use the external list alias
mechanism].

In its simplist configuration, majordomo does no archiving or header
modifications to messages sent.  You can set it up to do both however,
but its a more complicated process since majordomo configuration is
mostly manual.

I've had majordomo set up on a variety of systems for small lists
(5-20 people) because it is generally low-fuss to get going initially.
I have, however, switched to mailman for managability reasons.

Mailman is a much nicer list manager, but it has a more complicated
initial set up as well as requiring python.  (not a huge problem with
debian because the mailman package handles a lot of the set up for
you, but it was a pain on redhat 7.0).  However, Mailman is generally
a lot easier to manage via its Web interface, and is reputed to have
one of the best bounce handlers out there, as well as having an
awesome moderated list interface.

C.
--
  Crossfire      | This email was brought to you