Re: [SLUG] Best Mailing List software?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 04:52:56PM +1000, Jon Teh wrote:
> I am going to be setting up a server which will have Apache, and perhaps a
> few mailing lists. I was wondering what people thought, based on their
> experiences, the best mailing list daemon + mail daemon is? I'll be running
> on Debian 2.2r3.
>
> I've heard of a few mailing list daemons, such as Majordomo, ezmlm, etc...
>
> I'd appreciate people's opinions on this.

Mailman seems to be taking over the world at the moment and with good
reason: it's very configurable and not overly difficult to set up. It
also has the advantage of being in common use (so people signing up for
lists know how to use it) and having a nice webby interface for signup
and admin stuff (and I generally hate webby interfaces, so that is
saying something).

The only drawback that people comment on is that it's
archiving/searching portion is a bit less than perfect. Jeff probably
has some opinions on this, since I know he did magic stuff when fixing
up the SLUG archives recently.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Telepath required. You know where to apply...