Re: ISPs was: [SLUG] Domain Names

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:51:07PM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:20:02PM +1000, Richard Hayes wrote:
> > On Mon,  3 Sep 2001 11:18, Steven Blunt wrote:
> >
> > > Generally hosting in the US will be cheaper, tho if you expect all your
> > > customers to be Australian you might want the server to be closer to them.
> >
> Really? Unless there were extremely large (i.e. Optus/ Telstra) I'd be
> very surprised. Very few ISPs describe their external connections - is
> there a website or another place that does?

There are a few that do, don't forget that Southern Cross reared it's
head a few months back so a fair few ISP's have bought terestrial US
traffic from there. traceroute from a server in the states to the
ISP is really the only way to work it out and then that will only show
you the return path. ping -R can be a bit more helpful

--
John Ferlito
Senior Engineer - Bulletproof Networks