Re: [SLUG] Installing without CD drive.

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Peter Hardy wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 05:45:41PM +1000, DaZZa wrote:
> > Only way I could see to do this with any degree of ease would be to use
> > toms or something similar to make a PPP connection over a null modem cable
> > to another Linux boxen with a CD drive, then copy the relavent packages to
> > the hard disk, then run your boot floppy and tell it you're installing
> > locally.
>
> This is pretty much how I was going to do it.  Even the base packages are in
> the order of 10 floppies.  I'm too lazy to shuffle that many disks, and I
> have all the cables I need.  But I couldn't see any ppp capability in toms
> disks.  Which is why I started tinkering with the deb boot disks, with the
> goal of maybe installing via nfs (could we get any more evil?).

I haven't looked at Tom's in ages, but there are certainly single boot
distributions out there which will run PPP - I think one of them is called
"The Linux ROuter Project", but I could be wrong. Freshmeat will find them
for you.

> > You'd need two partitions, though - one to put the packages on {maybe you
> > could reuse it later for swap, if you're doing a minimal enough
> > installation and can keep the size down}, and one to do the install on.
>
> Also considered using the swap partition.  But it would be possible, and
> fairly simple, to just ext2 format the root partition, and dump all the base
> packages into /base, or somesuch.  Then I get to actually use the swap,
> which will be handy.

Yeah, I neglected the fact that you could choose not to format the root
partition as part of the installation. My bad.

DaZZa