RE: [SLUG] Re. Debian birth pangs: mail and Lilo ...

Thanks, Craigie.

	I have "Debian GNU/Linux for Dummies" by Michael Bellomo (2000) which is a
little out of date compared to 2.2.r3 but nevertheless has plenty of
relevant accessible material which has helped demystify the install process.
I'll have a look at the book you recommend.

	I've edited Lilo so that (I think) it works - a few minutes ago - but when
installing 2.2.r3, X Windows refused to load which is ironic because I had
it (and Gnome) running under 2.2.r2. I'll try setting it up with
'xf86config' when I have time, otherwise I'll re-run the install process.

	My mail system is OK. PPP and exim were configured during installation but
I was sad there was no Mutt included with the base installation or the
network software package. I'll check the CD's, otherwise I'll download from
www.mutt.org.

	One thing which worries me is that a number of device drivers did not
install, specifically lp (printer) and none of the CD-ROM ones. This
happened under both 2.2r2 and 2.2r3 .... I am not sure if this is a bug or
if there is something I am missing. There were no parameters involved with
'lp' so it could be a software problem, fixable (I hope) by downloading the
appropriate driver from the Epson website.

	Similarly, a number of software packages did not install in the final part
due to dependency and other problems which the program suggested could be
fixed by running the install process - again (!). These, however, did not
seem critical ...

	I have to admit that the more I see of Debian, the more I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Adam.