Re: [SLUG] ISP Help?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:46:35AM +1000, Tom Deckert uttered:
> Here's how I interpret (guess) what happens in my 'pppd' command:

You're _almost_ there, but you skipped something at the start:

0) User or script invokes (i love that word! :-) pppd, which knows
which device to use, which speed to use it,and other details and
then spawns off chat to dial, which leads on to your points...
> 1)  chat makes the call, creates the basic connection, and
>     exits.
> 2) pppd takes over and does the username/password
>     authorization.
> 3) Netspace sends the 'choose an option' output.  I believe
>     this is what is messing me up and I've tried
>     to deal with it in my chat script, but now I believe that
>     this will never succeed because chat has already finished
>     its work and exited.
Choose an option? Huh?

> 4) ppd has more sent/rcvd messages which I don't really
>     understand, and I am told the remote IP address.
> 5) I can 'ping' and 'traceroute' to the remote IP address, but
>    Netspace's DNS IP addresses are 'Network is unreachable'.
>

> *** Here is a 'typescript' of my attempted connection session.  ****
>
> Redhat 6.2, if it matters
> [root@Sandra log]# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
> [root@Sandra log]# /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug user sandralygoe connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT93812100 CONNECT '\d\c' "
Is this how you always connect?
Add a 'defaultroute' argument to pppd (after debug seems like a good
plan) and see what that does.

> *** Finally, Here is the info from my logging file.  *******
> *** I've not figured out why no 'chat' logging appears here;
>     everything I get is shown here. ****

The reason you are getting all those ConfReq packets dumped to the
syslog is because you have the 'debug' options set on your pppd
command line. Drop it.

[Long log snipped]

--
                                                    Steve
  "I'm a sysadmin because I couldn't beat a blind monkey in a coding contest."