SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Re. Debian birth pangs: mail and Lilo ...
- To: Adam Bogacki <afb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Re. Debian birth pangs: mail and Lilo ...
- From: Craige McWhirter <craige@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat May 12 14:10:02 2001
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx, terryc@xxxxxxxxxx, jdub@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mutt/1.3.15i
Adam, I strongly recommend you get a copy of "Learning Debian
GNU/Linux". You can get this at Dymocks or
Thus spake Adam Bogacki (afb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> By way of explanation:
> I have managed to open a connection via my ISP - which only seems
> to work as root - and found that Balsa sends mail but does receive it at
> the moment; I'm working on it. Mailx, Mutt, Pine, and Elm also do not
> seem to work.
You don't have your mail system configured correctly, this is performed
on installation. Run the below command:
if that doesnt work, then run:
apt-get install exim
and repeat the first command.
Another thing you may note is that Debian does things securely and
properly. If a user wants to control dialing up, they need to be added to
the appropriate group. Same for playing audio, mounting drives and many
other functions. Have a look in /etc/group