Re: [SLUG] language jihad

On Wed, 02 May 2001, Anand Kumria wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:21:01AM +1000, Ben Leslie wrote:
> >
> > Let the flame war begin :>
> >
> > I want comment on others I'll just give you my ideas about my
> > favourite high level/scripting language.
> >
> > Python (www.python.org) is a nice object oriented language which I find
> > quite good for most of my needs. I'll outline pros and cons below.
> >
> > Pros:
> [snip]
> >
> > Cons:
> > Nothing like CPAN (yet)
> > Doesn't have a large installed user base (such as perl)
> > White space for syntax
> > Doesn't have DBI (well it does, its just not well supported yet)
> >

> Annoying licence changes which make 2.0+ less widely used.
>
> It matters to some.

Yeah it is annoying, but then RMS/FSF are being a bit silly afaict.

The reason for the license change seems to be putting in a cover their
own arse clause in cause someone decides python ruined their life and
decide to sue.

Guido has tried to work out the problems with the license and each time
he fixes the problem the fsf lawyers complain about they come up with
something new. Guidos lawyers reckon the license is completly compabible
with the GPL, fsf lawyers don't :(

Guido talks more about it here:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/20/1455252&mode=thread

Benno