SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] PPP / ppp-watch
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] PPP / ppp-watch
- From: Andy Eager <eagera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu Jul 26 20:48:02 2001
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.2) Gecko/20010702
I just recently upgraded to RH7.1 and noticed my old favourite way of
starting / stopping my modem doesn't work any more.
I know its probably not the correct way but this is what I do:
- Have wvdail configured to connect to my ISP and start pppd
- My ifcfg-ppp0 file is set to persistent dial, not on demand and
not start on boot.
With RH6.2 I could then start the link (once) using ifup ppp0 and have
all my post link-up stuff (like firewall, fetchmail etc) start from
ip-up.local. Then when finished, I could simply switch my modem off
using its power switch. The next day (or whenever) I then switch the
modem back on and it would go through the whole process again.
Presumably ppp-watch was responsible for doing this ??
Anyone know why it doesn't happen in RH7.1 ?
( I notice ppp-watch is still there but it doesn't wake the modem up
when its powered up)